Tuesday, April 29, 2014

My thoughts after reading Ms. Marvel issues 2 and 3


One of the things I enjoy about the series is Kamala continues to grow as a character. Her flaws are what make her human. I would like to say I will try not to have any spoilers, but sometimes I think spoilers are good. In my opinion spoilers encourage the reading. But I will say my spoilers may not be in order, as I am writing my thoughts on both issues
 
I like her brother, he was funny in issue #2. I thought that part was so funny when she came home past curfew and he asked Kamala who had done this to her. This being her clothes dirty and a mess. When she said no one, just like a brother he said well then you are in trouble.

In issue #2 Kamala deals with her first save the citizen encounter. (Save the citizen, sorry I have watched Sky High one too many times.) She also faces her first “with great power, comes great responsibility” moment when she rescues her first person. In this moment she is reminded of a quote from her dad. “Whoever kills one person, it is as if he has killed all mankind and whoever saves one person, it is as if he has saved all mankind.” Can I say, I rather liked the pun, this hands thing is getting out of hand. Classic Marvel super hero.

In issue #3 she also faces her first on breaking news moment, after saving someone’s life. In issue #3 Kamala learns she can change into anyone she wants besides Ms. Marvel, however we learn she is still not comfortable in her own skin. But if we all remember being a teenager than we all understand trying to figure out who we are. Of course in this issue Zoe would not be the popular kids who has yet to learn her lesson, but saying when Ms. Marvel saved her life she told her she was like better than this. Like getting drunk is uncool. Like you know?

By the way I enjoy the set up. Biokinetic polymer makes fabric stretch. Wink, wink. I also enjoyed the nod to Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, “strange things are afoot at the Circle Q.”

I can’t believe they shot Kamala. I know that was a huge spoiler. But when you’re reading a comic. (Yes, I said comic. I’m sorry I’m old school.) And they end a comic that way, and you have to wait until the next issue. It’s like having to wait until the next season of Walking Dead or whatever other show that the world to you because you have invested so much in the characters. And if something happens to one of the characters or the story line, and you can’t stop thinking about it the whole week because it’s all consuming. But you can’t help face the fact that you’ll have to wait until next time. Sorry about that as you can see, I am really wanting to know what happens next. Sometime those three words are devastating. Okay maybe not devastating, that’s a bit dramatic, it’s more like a Tom Haverford, "Noooooo!"

Those three words being, "to be continued …."

No comments:

Post a Comment