Thursday, April 24, 2014

Give Me Back My Story


Disclaimer: I am not a prude.

I wanted to write about something that is not necessarily a pet peeve. Perhaps it might be, I am not sure but I will say it is something that I talk about from time to time. (I want to apologize to my husband in advanced for talking about it again.)

I often ask, why does a good movie or television show have to be interrupted with sexual content? Again, I am not a prude. But can I please have my story back? I’ll give an example. A little while ago my husband and I decided to begin watching Game of Thrones, so we placed the series on hold through our local library. (I highly recommend public libraries folks. They have books, magazines, DVDs, Blu-ray, music galore. And they are free!) 

So we begin watching the show, and we are both like hey this story line is pretty good. Then all of a sudden... private regions. I think we spent seasons 1 and 2 fast forwarding through most of the DVDs. I was, I have to admit pleasantly surprised with how we did not fast forward as much through season 3.

My main point of asking for my story back, is I get the idea. I do not need to see two people being fully intimate to understand what is going on. If I were watching a movie and two people are kissing and then fade to black. It does not take a lot of imagination to figure out what happens behind closed doors, or wherever said place is.
Dude seriously, can you imagine how much of the story you can fit into a television show, or how many more action scenes you could have in a movie if you took out sexual content? In my opinion, it would be pretty sweet. I just like it when a movie focusing on the story and character building verses trying to shock people, or gain viewership. 

Bonus, some story lines would not feel as rushed either. Plus there are plenty of shows where there story line can be super awesome without the story having 98% sexual content in each episode. The Walking Dead, BSG, Star Trek, The Guild, Firefly, Doctor Who, just to name a few.
 
Not to mention how it depicts women. I am not trying to get all soap box here. But why does a strong female lead character have to display that strength through sex. (Side note… Yes, I know, Starbuck in Battlestar (side note to side note. Reimagined BSG, not original.) had… What do the kids call it? Oh yeah sex.) But that was a flaw in her character and we didn’t see skin for minutes on end.) Back to my point. Why can’t smart and funny be displayed as strengths? While we are on the subject, when did society be the ones to determine what beautiful is. Whoever is in said “society.” Societal based beauty is the reason why some little girls think they have to dress a certain way, and sadly pretend they are not smart in school by not raising their hand in class.

To say that I just don’t understand it would be an understatement, but it’s all I can ask because sadly it won’t change. All we can do is hit fast forward, or simply turn off the power button.

No comments:

Post a Comment