Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I can draw! I can draw?



I recently saw a speaker who asked a group of adults, who here can draw? In a room of over 1,000 people only about 5 or so raised their hands. Then he went on and said, if I went to a high school about 10% of students would raise their hands. Then he asked, if I were to go into a kindergarten class how many students would raise their hands? If you are like me your answer is the same as mine. 100% would raise their hand.
I have been thinking about that question a lot. It’s true what happened? When we (and again this is not in reference to every single person) were younger we were never afraid of being wrong. And we were never afraid of saying I can do this. 

Which reminds me of a movie I’ve seen recently, About Time. For you Bill Nighy fans, if you love Nighy-isms, you’ll enjoy this movie. Tim’s dad played by Nighy tells his son (Domhnall Gleeson) that the men in their family can travel back in time. There are a couple of conditions that come with the time travel. They can only travel to places they have been. Tim decides to use this power to find love, as he and his dad call it the mother ship.

Later in the movie Tim learns his dad (Nighy) has cancer, after he passes away Tim’s wife wants another child. Tim is unsure because it means that he will never be able to see his dad again. If they travel to far back before their children are born they will come back to a completely different child. For example instead of a daughter, they would have had a son.

Tim’s dad tells him to live each day twice. Once with all the tension, and sets of everyday life and the other with seeing everything in appreciation. Soon Time learns just to live life enjoying the small things. 

Sorry I went off on a bit of a rant. One because it was an awesome movie, and for two I have a point to this movie summary.

It seems like the older we get the more in line with society we become, the more afraid we are of saying the wrong thing or just being afraid to make a mistake. At times it can be exhausting because we have to force ourselves to remember the joy in the little things. And it shouldn’t be that way, we should not have to force ourselves. 

I don’t say this to be on a soap box, and my we’s are not to everyone or anyone…just something I have been thinking about.

“Every so often I’ll have, like, a moment. When just being myself, in my life, right where I am is, like enough.” –Angela Chase, My So Called Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment