Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Press play



I miss cassette tapes. The other day I mentioned in a tweet that I told my husband that I was going to make a mix tape. Even though I really meant mix CD because it is hard to find cassette tapes, not to mention purchasing a stereo with a cassette player that does not have an ebay price attached to it. Then we both got sad because we miss tapes. (Side note: when my husband knew that I meant mix tape. I was like oh yeah, drift compatible)

Don’t get me wrong I love iTunes and being able to purchase a song whenever I want to. But I truly do miss tapes because it is a dying art. Okay, perhaps some would think that is a bit dramatic. But there is something wonderfully, beautiful about making a mix tape. I feel it is an art form because it’s an expression of who you are and what you want to say

It’s like Rob Gordon from the movie High Fidelity says, the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many dos and donts. First of all you are using some else’s poetry to express how you feel, this is a very delicate thing.
Side note: Okay this is the scene where he is making a tape for a girl who is not his girlfriend. But that’s besides beside the point, what he says is true. Which is why, I would sit there all day with all my cassette tapes and the few CDs that I had, and look at each one to decide the song selections.

Speaking of looking over cassette tapes and CDs, I miss that too. I miss being able to walk into a store and picking up a tape and looking at the art work and then the songs. It’s not just the same when you look an album it on a computer. Buying my first cassette tape, is like when I first saw Heart Shaped Box (music video). Three words, blew my mind. I miss music videos as well, now I have to go to YouTube to watch a video.

As the kids say vinyl is better. But today I talked about cassette tapes and CDs because that is what I grew up with. Yes, the idea of being able to save music on your phone, and going online to YouTube is very convenient. But it’s just not the same, if that makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment