Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Underappreciated Movies



Some of the wonderfully, beautifully awesome movies you’ll see and it’s not even scratching the surface yet

I was watching one of my favorite movies, Prey for Rock n Roll. And it got me to start thinking about movies that are in my humble opinion, underappreciated. Then again maybe it’s not so much underappreciated, perhaps it was because not a lot of people saw the movie in the theater. I am not too sure, but … Back to Prey for Rock and Roll. For starters the soundtrack kicks butt. Gina Gershon sings load vocals in a lot of the songs, such as My Favorite Sin, Prey for Rock and Roll, Ms. Tweak, Sam, The Ugly, Every Six Minutes, Pretty Pretty, Bitter Pill, Punk Rock Girl, and Post Nuclear Celebration Party. Gina Gershon went on tour the songs from the movie in front of a live audience.  And yes to answer your question she is my hero. Another hero behind the scenes is Cheri Lovedog whom the movie is based off. Gina Gershon and Laura Petty are too funny together as best friends because they have a natural chemistry. 

Fanboys. I have two words for you, Sam Huntington. Need I say more? Okay perhaps I should elaborate. Four dudes travel across country to live out a childhood dream of busting in to Skywalker Ranch. While there is the Star Wars verses Star Trek battle, there is a good parallel between the Star Wars movies and Fanboys itself. Star Wars movies with Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher movies that is. Speaking of Harrison Ford, there is a scene when Eric (Sam Huntington) and Windows (Jay Baruchel) have an argument about Ford being the best actor. To which Windows said Harrison Ford is the greatest actor of all time, and has not made a horrible movie. Pan out as they drive past a billboard ad for Six Day Seven Nights

The next movie might have had a little more viewers than some, but Whip It is on my list. This is one of the few movies I feel it a good representation of the book. I know right? And they book avoids my pet peeve, movie covers on books. Sorry what was I saying? Oh yeah two words, Ellen Page. I know, I know some of the people I think are wonderfully awesome and funny actors cannot be my sole reason for every unappreciated movie. Or can it?

Pirate Radio. For starters let’s take a look at the awesome cast. Bill Nighy, Rhys Ifans, Nick Frost, Tom Sturridge, Tom Brooke, Rhys Darby, Katherine Parkinson, Chris O’Dowd, Kenneth Branagh, Gemma Arterton, Jack Davenport, Emma Thompson, and Philip Seymour Hoffman. If you love any of these actors and have not seen this movie, you need to watch this. The story is about a radio station illegally transmitting their radio shows on international waters so they do not get arrested. Seriously if you love witty and smart movies, you need to watch Pirate Radio.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Here’s another awesome example of a great cast. Mos Def, Martin Freeman, Sam Rockwell, Zoe Deschanel, Alan Rickman, and John Malkovich. Again if you like witty and smart movies you need to watch this. For the love of Pete! I think the cast says it all. I know I said I would not use wonderfully, awesome, brilliant actors as the only reason to watch a movie. But along with writers and directors they make stories we love come to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment