Monday, February 24, 2014

My thoughts that occurred after reading Ms. Marvel #1



I have to admit, outside of the Scott Pilgrim series, I have not done well in the comic book area. Yes, I did say comic book. Sorry, I can’t help it, I am old school that way. My husband on the other hand is the comic book connoisseur in the house. He recently bought Ms. Marvel.  I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’m not sure if this is a review per say, but these are some of my thoughts after Ms. Marvel.

My first intentional reading I thought, why does Kamala wants to be somebody else? Then after my second reading it hit me. Kamala is going through what every teenager goes through. It’s not that she truly wants to be blonde and blue eyed, it’s that she wants to fit in. And to fit in, we all want it to be in the easiest and simplest way.
Ms. Marvel has the popular girl and her friends that go along with what she says; and the friend who may or may not be secretly in love with Kamala. I think what makes this story relateable, is when we are young we go thought the phase of wishing we were someone else. Wishing we were … less invisible. I think as people we all wish for that the most, not necessarily to be popular, but to be noticed. 

I think that, just as we see in Ms. Marvel, people think if someone is Pakistani that equals a “super religious” family.  However, Kamala’s family and best friend are traditional. When I use the word traditional to me it means a family with strong cultural values and remembering where you come from. And this is the way, I feel, it is perceived in the comic. 

I like that Kamala writes fanfic. Perhaps I am over thinking this, but writing fanfic fits her personality, and her longing to be something greater than who she is. Through writing she is able to be a hero. Someone who is not afraid to live a life that is for a greater good. 

I love that her heroes are Captain America, Captain Marvel, and Ironman. Which got me thinking about my Twitter pictures …

Me: Have you noticed all my Twitter profile pictures have been guys?
Husband: No I hadn’t. They have?
Me: Yeah. Owl Jolson, Mo from Wall-e, and now the worm from Labyrinth.
*stare at each other*
Me: Meh. I don’t think that matters

(Side note: When my husband and I use the term it does not matter to each other. It means that whatever the way someone dresses. Who they would like to cosplay as, etc does not diminish our love and respect for that person.)

Without giving too much away, or perhaps I did not say anything? Anywho, the comic leaves us with a too be continued which is, “is it always a good thing when you get what you wish for?” I am looking forward to seeing if the grass is truly greener on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment