Friday, February 7, 2014

Hello, my name is Melissa and I'm addicted to BBC shows, John Hughes movies, and...



You know how some film classes have certain movies on their curriculum? There are days when I tell my husband if I had a class about films, this movie or show would be watched. The following are my favorite movies and television shows. In no particular order because they are all equally awesome.

The Breakfast Club. There are some youngsters today (hehe I said youngsters) who will not know the joy and heartache of being a teenager. Before there was the WB and such we had Pretty In Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Sixteen Candles. John Hughes movies should be required class materials.

The IT Crowd, the BBC version. Two words, Moss and Roy. One question, “Hello IT have you tried turning it on and off again?” It’s hard to explain The IT Crowd if you have not seen it. And I don’t mean that in a “don’t worry citizen I can take it from here” kind of way. If you are every on the YouTube you’ll have to look this up.
The Muppets Take Manhattan. I can’t say that I do not care for cartoons or kids shows today because I have never really seen them. But what I can say is that Jim Henson was a genius. In my humble opinion, he led the path for studios like Pixar to have a comedic balance that is funny for both kids and adults. Let’s not forget Labyrinth. Magic Dance. And don’t forget my favorite phrase, "It’s not fair!"

My So-Called Life. If John Hughes is the King of teenage angst, Winnie Holzman is the Queen of Teenage Angst. In my humble opinion she has a way of writing her characters true to life. Even now when I watch this show it takes me back, and I say to myself I remember feeling this way, or that character reminds me of the friend I had. I think her and John Hughes’s stories stand the test of time and can be relatable for young people today.

(Side note, as I am writing this I know I will keep thinking of more to add to the list. Then once I am done I will say, I can’t believe I forgot this one.)

Dazed and Confused. One time my husband played Slow Ride for a class presentation when getting his RTF degree. Afterwards some of his class mates said hey that’s a great song, where is it from? He replied Dazed and Confused. They had no idea what he was talking about. Never hear of it. To which my reply was the same as his, mouth opened in disbelief. It’s hard to believe some people will never know where All right, all right, all right come from when referring to Matthew McConaughey.

The funny thing is that not much separates these films and TV shows from others. The events and situations range from simple to crazy. Muppets are on the list. It’s the characters that make all the difference and the little details that make them unique and memorable. There are reasons why they stand the test of time and become part of our lives.

“Sometimes someone says something really small, and it just fits right into this empty place in your heart.” – Angela Chase




No comments:

Post a Comment