Friday, March 14, 2014

I miss Saturday cartoons



I miss Saturday cartoons. I can’t sit here and say that I don’t like the cartoons they show nowadays on Saturday morning, or in general. I can’t because I have not seen them, but I can say that I miss Saturday cartoons from when I was a kid. The closest I get to that now is when they show Charlie Brown during the holidays.
 
One of my fondest memories of watching Saturday cartoons is watching it with my brother. We could both sit through each cartoon, and there was not any “GI Joe is for boys” or My Little Pony is for girls.” Perhaps it was our upbringing, my mom would not subject us to certain cartoons or say certain toys were for certain genders. I miss waking up early, getting cereal, and spending the whole Saturday morning with my little brother before we went outside (yes, outside with the trees, the grass, the sky) all day with the other neighborhood kids

One of my favorite things was the theme songs. Am I right? Gummi Bears! Bouncing here and there and everywhere. Don’t forget the catch phrases, GI Joe a real American Hero

I am not too sure about the new versions of shows either. I’ve heard about them, but have not viewed them to form an opinion. Although I am not too sure why Strawberry Shortcake needed a makeover. I like my old Strawberry Shortcake. Call me old fashion, but I feel like some things do not need remakes. I’m looking at you Red Dawn.  (Side Note: Please forgive me Josh Hutcherson, its not you, its me. Love you, love Peeta. Hunger Games!)

There are some cartoons that kids may not, will not ever know. Jem, Gargoyles, and Rainbow Brite. Jem was the alter-ego of Jerrica Benton who sang with her band the Holograms. The series was based on their adventures together. Jerrica is able to change her identity with help from a holographic computer named Synergy. It projectors the Jem hologram over her by way of micro-projectors in her earrings. So yes boys and girls, the 80s did the whole secret life with a singer alter-ego first. (I think, it was first.) Gargoyles was a show about (okay yes, Gargoyles) but was I was going to say was they reawaken in New York and protect the city. Oh, and two words people, Riker and Troi. There was people from Trek doing the voices. Rainbow Brite is about a Wisp a girl who finds herself in a land with no color and must find the Sphere of Light to bring back color in the world. (Excuse me a sec. No I’m not crying, but that is beautiful.) Why can’t we all have a Sphere of Light

These types of Saturday cartoons are how I feel about John Hughes movies, they should be part of a young person’s television, or movie education. So next time you mention the words Skeletor, or Shera please make sure to take time to elaborate, even if its just a little. Let’s keep the dream alive people. (Okay, that was a bit dramatic, but I think you know what I mean.)

No comments:

Post a Comment