Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My POV: the Twitter experience, well more like a life observation.



The Twitter Experience, well it’s only mine. But it’s more of a life observation.
Disclaimer: I write this not to gain sympathy.

I have had a Twitter account for a month. I like Twitter because as I mentioned in my last blog, it has been an outlet for sharing my thoughts. I joined Twitter and did not have expectations of getting retweeted, or followers, or replied to. I still do not.
If you read my first blog you know that I started a Twitter account to follow people who I enjoy as writers, the projects they work on, etc.
I think Twitter is great for getting messages out in mass to people. It can inspirational. I have found new people who I know follow on YouTube because I enjoy their channels, and what they discuss. I also enjoy being able to read articles on books in real time verses “hey I did not know this person wrote another book,” or hey check out this new book.
The best thing I love, is since I do not tweet 24/7, I can always go back to the article, link, etc later. I also do not have Tweets on a consistent basis because 98% of my thoughts are shared with my beloved husband, and for me that is more than enough.
The first week I got my Twitter account I noticed that a few people followed me. By few I mean about five. Two were for lack of better words, for adult eyes which I will not get into. As the second and third weeks came along I noticed, as I am sure some of you have as well, if you don’t follow some people, they will unfollow you. And hey that’s okay and I get that, because sometimes people utilize Twitter for their jobs.
In a general observation, I noticed as a big of a community Twitter is, it can be lonely. I follow this person on Twitter and I noticed one day they retweeted a comment from someone who called them a name. This person did handle the situation, and handled it better than I would have. But it left me wondering, in a community that can be used for so much positivity, how people often forget words can and do hurt.
It also made me realize how permanent things said and done can be. However, in writing this I realize this blog is not about Twitter but about humanity in the community sense. The other day I saw someone who looked a little frustrated and upset. I did not know this person, but I asked them something that no one seemed to be asking as they keep walking by. Are you okay?
How often do we take a moment to check on people, not just the ones we know, but people in general. There is a saying and I’m paraphrasing as best as I can, be kind because someone could have it harder than you.
Perspective is a strangely wonderful thing because sometimes out of nowhere it will kick you in the behind. Hopefully though we get to catch that kick before it happens, and when we get to, it’s amazing because it makes us grateful for how wonderfully beautiful our lives truly are.
I write this not to stand on a soap box, but as a reminder it does not take much to be kind. Even if that means smiling, saying good morning, telling someone to have a good day, or to take care.
If you’ve made it this far, I thank you for reading. And remember take a moment to hello, and ask those around you how are you doing today?

No comments:

Post a Comment