Monday, September 16, 2013

My thoughts after reading Attachments by Rainbow Rowell



This blog may not be a review in the sense that it’s going to sum up the whole book chapter by chapter, or comparing it to other literature. I am going to write more about my thoughts and how the book made me feel. Because isn’t that what books should be? Books should for an extension of human emotions, a place to escape within our imaginations, as a companion, etc.

If anyone reads my tweets, you know that I finished the Attachments in two days, and feel in love with the characters. I wanted to blog a little more about the book because I feel that 160 words are sometimes just not enough. Hopefully it’s not a spoiler for those who have not read the book, and it’s just enough for those of you who have read the book to understand what I am discussing. Perhaps, someone has already mentioned these things since the book has been out a while. And that’s okay because it just means that I am not alone in my falling in love with this book.

As some of you may or may not know, Attachments is a love story where boy reads girl’s emails, and boy falls in love with girl before even knowing what she looks like. Girl also crushes on boy, not knowing he has been reading her emails. She crushes only because she has a boyfriend. In my opinion underneath the romance is a story of how when faced with certain situations, the outcome will reveal who we truly are.

When reading the emails between Beth and Jennifer, I could not help but laugh at loud at their inside jokes, which did not make me feel like an outsider. I liked how their emails were written in a way that helped you see how they viewed themselves, how they think, and acted without having to go into your traditional book description of characters or places. When I was reading Lincoln’s chapters where he was putting it together why Beth and Jennifer had not emailed, my heart broke for Jennifer, as I put it together myself.

Oh Lincoln. You can’t help but feel for the guy. When you read Lincoln’s chapters you can’t help but smile at his victories, and find his awkwardness endearing and cute. What can I say I love dorks, which is why I married one. When Beth and Lincoln finally kissed, and realized they love each other, I could not help but do a happy dance and smile the whole next day in sharing in this happy ending.

I tweeted that I feel in love with the characters of this book. I laughed, cried, and smiled with them. I have not read a book like this in a while. It’s the kind of book that I could not put down. The only reason it took me two days to read is because at work I can sit a read a book. However, during my break time I could not help but think will Beth finally put two and two together with who her “cute guy” is. I wonder how the book is going to end. I hope it ends on a happy note. I only have a couple of more hours left in the day before I can start reading again. Not to mention this was the kind of book where I felt my husband needed to be informed of the major events that had occurred as I read the funny moments, and said my oh no’s during the sad times.

After reading Attachments, I could not help but wonder what if they made this book a movie? Then I thought no better not think that because only few movies based on books have, in my opinion, captured the essence of the book. The essence being what I have wrote about, how the book makes you feel. But that’s a whole other blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment