Monday, July 14, 2014

Remember regular TV?



Remember when they used to show that on regular tv?

This is a term my husband and I used often. Especially whenever we are watching a movie like The Karate Kid. After Saturday cartoons would come the big movies. And we enjoyed these movies, unironically. Regular tv to us were channels outside of cable, mainly local network channels. I wonder if anyone else uses that term? Hmm..

One awesome thing about regular tv is they would show the same movies every weekend. The Goonies, Gleaming the Cube, Rad, The Great Outdoors, Legend of Billy Jean, and John Hughes movies. Sixteen Candles, John Hughes? You know that guy? That guy. (Sorry, please excuse the Kevin Smith reference/rant.) The movies they would show on regular tv was pre on demand. This was before cable channels started showing movies that just got done playing at the theaters. Before Netflix and YouTube.

For those of you who do not remember, or do not remember Gleaming the Cube where Christian Slater plays a skater trying to avenge the death of his brother. And kids if you don’t know what the term, gleaming the cube means ask an adult.
Pretty much every movie that came out in the 80s that in my personal opinion should be part of school curriculum.

What else did they used to show, oh … Flight of the Navigator, The Last Starfigter, Enemy Mine, D.A.R.Y.L., Wizard (California, California). Speaking of Wizard, I used that word a couple of weeks ago and no one knew what the word meant. I think I need to make a campaign to bring back the word, wizard. You know what else they used to show on regular tv all the time? Solar Babies, Labyrinth, and Legend. It seems like all the movies back then, shaped who we are and what types of books and movies we will eventually fall in love with. …agreed that what really matter is what you like, not what you are like. Books, records, films these things matter. (Sorry, please excuse the High Fidelity reference/rant.)

Oh my G-O-S-H, I’m started to sense a theme here. Perhaps I watch too many movies. And then when I am not doing that I’m reading or writing. Is there such as thing as too much? (3 second pause) Nah. Otherwise who would ever understand when I say things like “Clever girl.” Or, “These are not the droids you are looking for.” And when I watch tv shows or movies like Supernatural, Farscape, and Fanboys, where would all that joy from laughing at ScFi, Fantasy, and just funny and relateable references go?

No comments:

Post a Comment