Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars



What can I say about TFIOS that has not been said already? I’m not sure I can answer that, but I can say that I know what I’d like to share about it. Here it goes. I apologize in advance for any spoilers. Not that there will be any but just in case. And perhaps I am late writing about TFIOS but haven’t you ever read a book, or seen a movie that is so … well no words can describe it so you need time to absorb it.
 
A while ago I blogged about why can’t great fiction just be fiction. Why do we need to label it as YA or adult? In that same blog I mentioned The Fault In Our Stars. It was the first book in a long time that made me want to throw it across the room when I was done…in a good way. I know, “fictional characters.” (Sorry inside joke/side rant @DimesnsAndGalxs knows what I mean.)

One of the many things I love about this book outside of the story is that you do not have to be of a certain age to read this. This story and its writer do no mess around here. John Green does not hold back, and does not talk down to the readers.

I still can’t wrap my head around why things are called, cult classics. To me that just means only a certain people like this movie or that book. Why can’t we like something because we just do? And because it speaks to us. Sorry tangent.

I saw this movie this past weekend. One of the things I liked about the movie is that it appeals to everyone. Another words you do not have the read TFIOS before you watch the movie. It also does a good job capturing the essence of the story. To answer your question yes I cried. Okay, fine I admit it, I cried twice.

One of things I feel the book and movie do is make you reflect. If you truly love someone, its real love, not the fantasy of what love should be. (Ironic, I guess since I am talking about a book and a movie. Anywho.) Love is something that cannot be explained but it makes the world anew. I guess that is also kind of ironic how love is this wonderfully, amazing thing but if we are lucky we find it. One thing the book and the movie both do is teach is with true love you need to have a friendship because that is where the trust and respect come from.

Perhaps I am reading way too deep into TFIOS movie and TFIOS book but isn’t that what good books do? Open our eyes to a different world. And even though it is fiction it teaches us a little bit about ourselves. Stories that help us remember “hey have I told the person that I most love in the world,” okay?

What? Don’t judge me. Yes, that was a bit cheesy or what have you to use the famous “okay” to make my point, but I am not afraid to like cheese, or say how a story makes me feel. Shouldn’t the point be for us to connect to that story? Because when a reader is lucky enough to make that connection to a story, it makes our hearts bigger and our minds more open. At least that it what I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment