Monday, June 2, 2014

Just because everyone else is doing it, you should too


Let me explain the title of this blog. I am not talking about the old saying, just because everyone else is doing doesn’t mean you should too. What I am referring to (who talks like that in a blog, referring to …sorry) is television shows.

When my husband and I first went to SDCC, we were baffled (wait does anyone use that word anymore, baffled…sorry about that again) at how many people slept overnight to see the Doctor Who panel.  At that point we were not Whovians yet. When we got home after SDCC, we decided to start watching Doctor Who. And it was like Battlestar Galactica re-imagined all over again. We said to ourselves, dang it this is good!   

I think it is good to be open minded because even if someone says you need to watch this show and it turns out you don’t like it, the people who direct or act in the show may lead you to another show.

It’s like BBC America when I first started watching Doctor Who eventually I discovered In the Flesh. BTW if you are not watching this show you need to. While some may argue, it reminds me of Walking Dead because it is about the people. BDFF!
Besides leading you to another show it can also lead you to a webisode like The Guild. If you have not watched these webisodes yet. You need to! And if you are looking to save on your data plan, you can watch – nay own The Guild on DVD.

One of the things that I love about The Guild is you don’t have to be a gamer to appreciate the charming sense of humor. I always like watching a show in season one, and then seeing how the story line and production changes. Most importantly the best lines ever, which I have fallen in love with again in rewatching The Guild.

My interest in what you are saying is low to moderate. –Vork

Did you borrow my crayon set? And my mind. –Clara

This is a nightmare level. Just control, alt, delete me. –Zaboo

One recent show that I’ve come across because of Felicia Day and thousands of people lined up at SDCC is Supernatural. While I may feel like I am always late to the party, I am glad to be open minded.

There are times when I get kind of sad because the shows that are the best don’t get a fair shot. Almost Human, I am holding my hat off to you. But I think as sad as it is to lose our favorite shows, it gives us that open mind to seek and search for the next favorite show. For example Firefly has led to watching Castle. Nebula 9 lives!  So next time someone says you should watch this, give it a chance. You just might like it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment