Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Random thoughts on the internet?


My husband said something that inspired me to write something that has been on my mind. “Trolls gonna troll.” It was right after reading comments on a video we saw online. (Side note to self, I really do have to stop reading the comments.) Normally neither one of us are negative on our blogs. And my initiation for this blog is not to be negative. It’s something to express that we don’t understand why people are the way they are, or say what they say.

I always think when you express yourself in words there is always a fine line because written words cannot always express our tone or our imitations. As mentioned my goal here is not be negative. There is enough of that in the internet. My goal which I hope to achieve is just to express my thoughts, and my feelings with no offense.

Many people know by now that Becky Hammon has been hired by the San Antonio Spurs. And with that of course came the comments about her being a girl. Whether that was on her looks or that it was a PR stunt. What amazed me was when a person made the comment about her and Tony Parker. I think in any work environment it is naturally for people to joke and form friendships. I am not sure why there are certain people who think when a man and woman joke there is something more going on. While I admit I am old fashion about certain things, for example as a married woman I would not be alone in a car with a guy. (Now that I think about that I am not sure if old fashion is the right word, perhaps personal preference. It’s just how I am, out of respect for my husband and my marriage.)To joke in friendship or comradery is okay.

My husband drops me off at work. The reason I mention this is because he drops me off at work, I often run across comments such as I am not sure if she knows how to drive, or other things about a how my world revolves around my husband in a negative connotation. Which I do not understand. In truth, financially it works out because his work is about 15 minutes away from where I work and he goes in after I do and gets off before me. Most importantly, I enjoy spending time with my best friend and it’s awesomely wonderful to see him after a long day of work and just drive in that comfortable silence. Just to give some background on that, if you read my other blog about a friend asking me how my husband and I have a good relationship. I mentioned that he was deployed a couple of months after we were married. So yes I do like spending time with my husband. Life is too short not to spend it with someone you love when you are lucky enough to have been given that chance.

I was watching a TedTalks video the other day. It was an amazing video, however I will not mention the speakers name out of respect because I do not want to add to that type of environment. The first comment I saw was about the way she looked. (?) That ? mark is the expression I probably had on my face. It reminds me of this (and I really wish I could remember because I feel like I am not going to do it justice) it was a video or article I read about how as women often are careful in what they do and say. For example, when a woman is assertive and confident she may be perceived as “bossy” or if she expresses how she feels she may be perceived as “emotional”, etc.

There will be a lot of things I am unsure about as I write this. Because to understand why someone will say harmful things about another person is beyond me. As humans we want to try and figure it out because, well that’s who we are, always seeking for meaning and understanding. I just hope one day we get there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment