Monday, November 25, 2013

My thoughts after reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell


I finished Fangirl a couple of days ago. I haven’t been able to decide what to read next because in all honesty, the next book has some big shoes to fill.
If you follow Rainbow Rowell on Twitter, you can see what she has such a great sense of humor in her books. At least I do. Not to mention that she replies to her fans tweets when she is able to whether it’s a favorite or a reply, Rainbow is a gracious enough to let her fans inside her life.
As some of you may, or may not know Fangirl is about a girl named Cather Avery. Cath has a rocky start in her first year of college when her twin sister makes to decision for both of them that they both need to grow up. Along the way Cath learns to stick up for herself, what love is, and that it’s okay to live in the real world away from the fanfiction she writes.
What I love about this book is the way Rainbow pays tribute to J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter Series. The more I think about it, the homage goes beyond Happy Potter, but to all the fans who have literary crushes on books characters. Fans who fall in love with not just the books, but the story.
Hopefully I am not about to give too many spoilers here. One of the many other things I love about this book is all the references to scifi related genre. As soon as you get into the book, page 9 has reference to one of the best movies … Soylent Green is people! I laughed out loud when Wren (Cath’s sister) called Levi, Lt. Starbuck. And good ol’ Levi does not let the Avery sisters nerdom catch him off guard, and knows it was a Battlestar Galactica reference. It made me smile when Levi tells Cath she is Clarke Kent.
Yes, Fangirl is about girl meets boy. However, Rainbow writes Cath’s story in a way that she does not make it obvious as to what will happen next. While Fangirl is classified as a YA book. I feel that it should not be. A great story is just that a great story. And a wonderful writer is a wonderful writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment