Friday, December 12, 2014

It’s about vampires, ostensibly



 “It’s about vampires, ostensibly ...” Yep, this is the title I am sticking with.

Well it’s about social media, but not really. It started off that way but did not end that way.

So I think a while back I attempted to write about social media, Twitter in particular. But I was as the kids say a newb. Or, is it noob? I am attempting to write about it again because it’s been on my mind. I’ve been wanting to write about it for a while, but have been afraid of coming across as “complaining,” or it just won’t come across right. In thinking about it, it has lead me to other thoughts that are a bit more serious. I think it will make sense. It will. I hope. Stick with me on this one.

How do you make a lighthearted observation without coming across as hating the something you are making an observation about anyway? I guess it’s a subtle art, like making a mix tape. As Rob Gordon would say, “The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don’t wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules.”

I’m not sure how I’ll do but hopefully this comes across that way. Social media sometimes reminds me of a high school setting. “You see us as you want to see us ... in the simplest of terms and the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain … and an athlete … and a basket case … a princess … and a criminal.”

Sorry that felt like a John Hughes moment. I guess my point is there are days when you feel like you don’t belong. You’re not exactly in any category. And sometimes it’s not just a once in a while thing, it’s like your whole life thing. I wanted to bring this is up because words matter, and most of all people matter.

Whenever I find myself in that kind of a mood. You know the mood where you think you don’t fit. There is one thing that has recently come to make me feel better. I thought I would share it. Most of you might know it …

“Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch, it is small and it is fragile, but it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us. I hope that whoever you are, you escape from this place. I hope that the world turns and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that even though I don’t know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you. I love you. With all my heart, I love you.”

I know what you’re thinking Melissa, why would you pick a sad scene from a movie to make you feel better? It’s like I said words matter. And one of the greatest things about words are even though they are the same in spelling, they always have a different meaning to everyone. And that’s why people matter because without the differences how would we come to understanding and forgiveness.

As the Doctor would say “900 years of time and space and I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important.”

No comments:

Post a Comment