Tuesday, November 18, 2014

I’m in love … with Begin Again



I will try to describe my love for this movie. Have you ever read a book, seen a movie or heard a song that found the right place in your heart? This is what this movie has been for me. I saw this movie recently on Blu-ray. I know what you might be asking, Melissa if this movie is so wonderful why are you just seeing it? Well most movies like this only play at one theater where I live for a limited time. And if you happen to be working the release weekend it will be a bit too late because it will have only shown once. Sorry for the side rant, where was I …

Begin Again is written and directed by James Carney, and stars Mark Ruffalo, Keira Knightley, James Corden, Hailee Steinfeld, Adam Levine, Catherine Keener and CeeLo Green. When I first saw the preview I wanted to see it because I think Mark Ruffalo is a wonderful, authentic actor. And I also love James Corden who is a brilliant and funny actor. In all honesty, the entire cast is amazing. I could not see any one else playing these characters. Keira Knightley plays Gretta James a singer song writer who is discovered by Dan Mullihan (Mark Ruffalo).

PS: Knightley does her own signing in the movie. Speaking of singing, there is a song in the movie that I am in love with, Lost Stars written by Gregg Alexander, Daniel Brisebois, Nick Lashley and Nick Southwood. I love the Knightly and Levine version of this song. So I feel in love twice once with the movie and the second with this song. The lyrics are amazing. It’s like a poem. Just the beginning of the song fills a space in my heart, the space I was talking about earlier.

“Please, don’t see
Just a girl caught up in dream
And fantasies
Please, see me
Reaching out for someone
I can’t see”

Dan (Ruffalo) has sold most of his shares of his record label. So he has been forced out by his partner (Mos Def). So even though Dan is not able to sign anyone, Gretta decides she wants him to produce her album. One of the things I love about their decision is to record it all over New York. So no matter what happens, background noise mainly they will keep recording.

If you think the movie is going to have a cliché like Dan and Gretta ending up together, you are wrong. While they are making this album together they are helping each other. She helps him build a stronger relationship with his daughter (Steinfeld) which essentially helps him reunite with estranged wife (Catherine Keener).

So there is one small cliché (tiny, minor thing that does not ruin the movie at all) in the movie where Dave Kohl (Levine) who plays Gretta’s boyfriend meets someone else. She discovers this when he plays a song for her he write while in LA. Gretta knows him that well, that as soon as she hears the lyrics she knows he is singing about someone else. Dave tries to get Gretta back after she leaves a song for him on his voice mail. 

Yes, this movie is about how music can save you. But also about how two people can save each other and it does not have to be in a romantic setting. There are no words to describe how beautiful, wonderful, lovely this movie is. Okay those were some words but it truly is like one of books you read, or movies you see that you want to keep to yourself because it has filled you with so much joy you want to keep it to yourself and share it at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment