Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My thoughts after reading Ms. Marvel 6 and 7


Issues number 6 and 7 of Ms. Marvel has to be two of the funniest in the series so far. Okay so maybe I am a little biased because I do like Wolverine’s sense of humor. Normally we do get to see Kamala fangirl about things she loves. In this issue we get to see more of that. I could not help but laugh out loud to her references of the fanfiction she writes about Storm and Wolverine fighting a giant alien blob that farts wormholes. Farts wormholes. That is funny. And would be awesome. Let’s just take a moment to picture it …

Okay I would like to give a shout out to Sheikh Abdullah because he was also funny in this issue. I liked when Kamala was relieved to find out Sheikh was not going to talk to her about Satan and boys. I like his reply, “I’ve been giving youth lectures at this mosque for ten years. If I still have to warn you about Satan and boys, I should lose my job.” Well it’s funnier when you read it.

When Wolverine and her fight the ginormous alligator, I like how he is all, well Wolverine and she is doing her I can’t believe this is happening. Although I think one thing that might have added to Kamala’s fangirling was “The Goonies” speech a la Mikey. “…cause it’s their time. Their time, up there. Down here it’s our time. It’s our time down here.”

There are so many great lines in both of these issues. I apologize in advance if I fangirl and just quote them. But they are not only funny lines, but smart. For example, when Wolverine ask how does Kamala know what to expect down the tunnel if she was never allowed to watch horror movies. I love her answer, “Hellooo, it’s called having an imagination.” I think the cover on Issue number 7 pretty much sums up my thoughts of both issues. Witty. Wolverine-y. Kamala-y.

Grant I have said this before, but other than Scott Pilgrim, this is the first comic series I have read. But I know what I like and I like Ms. Marvel. Not to get on a soap box, but in a world where being yourself is not always appreciated. Or, when beauty is judged only by what is aesthetically pleasing. Or, boys verses girls, Ms. Marvel appeals to not just girls but to anyone who has ever lost their way for a little while or for those of us who still are discovering what they want to be when they “grow up.” It makes you appreciate that being different is not a bad thing or something to be ashamed of.

No comments:

Post a Comment